Fussy Eaters Tips - They Do Grow Up

Recently we posted our Lunch Box Tips for Coping with Fussy Eaters on the Lunchbox World website in the Hints and Tips section and I just have to share this story with you.

Two weeks ago my step-son, we'll call him "Joberus" moved in with us for one month. He's on a work placement in London, so has come to stay with us, which is great, as it'll give us a chance to make up for lost years, and we'll be able to get to know one another better.  Luckily we have the room and we are close enough to London for the commute, but far enough away in the countryside to benefit from the fresher air ...
Of course we have all been adjusting to having a twenty year old in the house, the comings and goings at odd hours, eating with us, or not, the extra washing etc ...
Anyway, I digress.

I've known Joberus since he was 4 years old and what a fussy eater he was. He didn't like fruit, or veg, and had a real thing about tomatoes.  Unsurprisingly, he loved ketchup, but tomato, raw or cooked, no thankyou. That use to line the edge of the plate.
Yet tomato and mozarella pasta bake was, he claimed, his favourite dish whenever he came with his sister to stay with us.  He always left an edge filled plate of tomato chunks, or carefully picked out all the vegetables. Clearly I failed to disguise them very well... (I've since learnt from my mistakes for the younger brood...)

To my total amazement, 16 years on, he's now eating raw tomato, cooked tomato, salad, olives even, cucumber, spring onions, all sorts of fruit - strawberries, raspberries, you name it, he eats it... It may not be his favourite, but in his words "I know it's healthy and it's good for me!"

When I asked him what's happened? When was the change, he replied, "Sixth Form".  He started eating tomato in a sandwich in the sixth form.  He decided it was healthy, he needed to eat a balanced diet. (These are his words, I kid you not).

I am still gob-smacked!
So now, I am buying more fruit and veg than ever, and Joberus is largely the one eating it!

So you see, they do grow up.
They do try out new flavours. Perhaps it is peer pressure. Perhaps it is this second phase when as late teenagers they try out new flavours, new tastes, alcohol... They are more receptive.

So there is hope for our youngest, King Julien, the fussiest of the brood.

So my latest tip is to NOT focus on the fussy eating, encourage the positive, not dwell on the negative, persevere, without making it obvious, and I'm sure he'll come around... Maybe it'll be a few years yet, well at least another 10, but perhaps we'll get there...

I'm full of hope.
Let me know if you've any stories of hope like this.
Thanks for stopping by

The Lunchbox World Team x

Labels: , ,